A hearty sloppy joe sandwich always goes over well with our bunch, so my saucy, slightly sweet version was a hit at the shower.—Betty Otten, Tea, South Dakota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 14 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (50 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup grape jelly
- 2 tablespoons each garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 dozen sandwich buns, split
- In two Dutch ovens or stockpots, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Combine the tomato soup, tomatoes, barbecue sauce, jelly, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper and mustard; stir half into each pan.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until thickened and heated through. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 236 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Baby-ques in Taste of Home April/May 2004
Feb 5, 2012
Remember this serves 54-66 people. Cut recipe in half, then half it again for a more family friendly amount! This sounds so good!
Jan 28, 2011
14 pounds of ground beef...really?