Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-2/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and cardamom. In a saucepan, heat milk to 120°-130°; stir in butter until melted. Add to flour mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in egg yolks, lemon peel and enough remaining flour to form a moderately stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead in raisins and candied fruit. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in thirds. Transfer to three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over loaves while warm.
Originally published as Babka in Taste of Home Cooking School Recipe Collection Spring 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.