To fix this ham-and-cheese pleaser, just take a page from our creative food editors. You also can use a cutout of your child’s initial. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Featured In: 28 Favorite Lunch Box Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 slices bread
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/8 teaspoon onion salt
- 6 slices fully cooked ham
- 6 slices American cheese
- Cut each slice of bread into a 3-1/2-in. x 3-1/4-in. rectangle, leaving one side with the crust on. Using a 1-1/2-in.letter cookie cutter, cut letters in half of the bread slices.
- In a small bowl, stir the butter, chives and onion salt until blended. Spread on one side of each slice of bread. Top whole bread slices with ham and cheese; top with cutout bread. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as B Is For Book Sandwich in Country Woman September/October 2002, p19