Avocado Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, marjoram and thyme
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer with half of the noodles, avocados, chicken, white sauce and cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nov 7, 2012
Great! I made this many years ago and I'm glad I was able to find this recipe again.
Sep 28, 2010
By the way, I used rice, as someone suggested.
Sep 28, 2010
It would be a 5, except that I hated the taste of cooked avocado. I love fresh avocado, but the flavor totally changes after being baked. I will make this again with broccoli instead. It's not as exotic, but I think we'll be happier with it. The sauce was really yummy. I did not use any half and half in the sauce (I used an extra 1/2 - 1 c. milk), and I added a little chicken bouillon.
Feb 20, 2010
I am NOT a fan of pasta casseroles, but I love chicken and avocados, so had to try this recipe with one "little" tweak: I used 2 cups of rice, cooked it according to package directions, and proceded with the recipe as written. I agree with other reviewer about omitting the marjoram and thyme, but will probably add sage or poultry seasoning instead.
Nov 9, 2009
This is a really great recipe. I modified to meet my own style of cooking by doubling the sauce. And next time I will probably eliminate the thyme and the marjoram, only because that is my personal preference. My family and I really enjoyed this casserole.
Mar 22, 2008
This recipe has become my "signature dish" when I have company or have to take a main dish somewhere and want to impress.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.