- 1 small butternut squash (1-1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place squash slices on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly spritz with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine two eggs, cheeses and sage. In a small bowl, whisk water and remaining egg; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the spinach, garlic and nutmeg. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; set aside.
- Unfold one pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 14-in. square. Press onto bottom and up sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan, allowing excess pastry to drape over edges. Brush with reserved egg mixture.
- Layer with half of the squash, cheese mixture and spinach. Repeat layers. Roll out the remaining pastry into a 10-in. square; place over filling. Trim edges; fold the bottom pastry over the top and press edges to seal. Reroll pastry trimmings. Cut out with a small leaf cookie cutter; place on torte. Brush pastry with egg mixture.
- Place pan on baking sheet. Bake at 400° 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool for 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forAutumn Torte Rustica
"When looking for something else to add to my Easter table, I stumbled on this recipe. I thought I would cut down on my work and make this the night before and reheat it. Did not work out because my daughter and her fiance could not wait and ate about 1/3 of it on Saturday when they came home from visiting friends. Guess the wine gave them the munchies :) But, I did cut it in slices and put it out anyway and everyone loved it. Make sure to drain your ricotta cheese for several hours before using it as it can ooze a lot of liquid as well as the spinach. Wonderful and delicious and I am going to make other renditions of this torte in the future!"
"I made this and it was wonderful! I did add salt and course ground pepper to the spinach mixture. I also used garlic infused olive oil to roast the butternut squash. Yummy"
"I have made this several times. Wonderful !!!!!!"
"So beautiful! Turned out a lot like the picture. Based on other reviews I was concerned about the flavor so I:- added extra squash (roasted with s&p and garlic powder),- included a layer of roasted red peppers,- added an extra clove of garlic to the spinach mixture and carmelized the onions as well- added 1/2 tsp each of ground thyme and poultry seasoning to the sage/cheese mixture,- substituted one cup of the ricotta with a cup of crumble feta."
"I was psyched to try this recipe and it lived up to my expectations! I just automatically season with salt as I cook anything. The friend I shared this meal with also gave it rave reviews. I look forward to producing this again, with just a bit more squash."
"This is delicious! Great at room temperature and I would definitely make this the day before to let all the flavors meld together. Made this for Christmas last year as an appatizer and everyone loved it!"
"P.S. I used organic filo dough because it's what I had on hand which worked great - more flaky and held up well."
"This torte turned out beautiful and delicious. If you prep the ingredients and follow step by step, it's actually quite easy to make, too. Wonderful and yummy!"
"Definitely needs more seasoning. I used salt and garlic pepper when I roasted the squash, but the spinach and cheese mixture could use seasoning too. I would also try mashing the squash a bit before assembly. But, it was tasty and beautiful. It held together well and was easy to serve. I think I will make it again at Thanksgiving."
"This is a beautiful torte and easy to make but to make it truly delicious the herbs and some spice like curry and salt and pepper should be included in this recipe. Book Club liked it but with the above suggestions."