I love cooking with pumpkin because it’s versatile, colorful and nutritious. Combining that ingredient with chopped apple and cider gives these glazed rolls their autumn appeal.—Jennifer Coduto, Kent, Ohio
Recommended: 18 Recipes to Make with Apple Cider
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 small apple, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and honey. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, butter, pie spice, salt, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, mix sugar and cinnamon. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Press dough into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and apple. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
- Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan, cut side down. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and apple cider; drizzle over warm rolls. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Autumn Sweet Rolls with Cider Glaze in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014