Autumn Sausage Corn Soup
I cook this frequently throughout the year, but my family especially loves it on cold nights. Cayenne pepper, sausage and ham lend to tis fabulous Cajun flavor. —Belinda Desselle, Westlake, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes11 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 3/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a large skillet, cook and stir sausage over medium-high heat until browned; drain well and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook and stir the flour in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the onion, green pepper and green onions; saute until tender.
- Stir in the water, corn, ham, tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, if desired, cayenne, hot pepper sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 249 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Cajun Corn Soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.