I cook this frequently throughout the year, but my family especially loves it on cold nights. Cayenne pepper, sausage and ham lend to tis fabulous Cajun flavor. —Belinda Desselle, Westlake, Louisiana
Recommended: 25 Soups to Keep You Warm This Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound fully cooked Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a large skillet, cook and stir sausage over medium-high heat until browned; drain well and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook and stir the flour in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the onion, green pepper and green onions; saute until tender.
- Stir in the water, corn, ham, tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, if desired, cayenne, hot pepper sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 11 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Autumn Sausage Corn Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p134