- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- Saute the onion and green and yellow peppers in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Crumble turkey into skillet. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the pumpkin, tomatoes, chili powder, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forAutumn Pumpkin Chili
"Loved it...added another can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 can of beer, white beans & a splash of apple cider.....SO YUMMY!"
"Like another reviewer, I added chili seasoning and 2 cans chili beans. Would have substituted black beans for one of the hili beans but I didn’t have any. We like things spicy so added some Jalape?os. It was delicious. Very hearty and satisfying.. served with fresh cornbread. The only thing that would have made it better were if it were snowing."
"Pumpkin makes the chili nice and thick and hearty. Like many chlis, it is even better the next day."
"After reading the reviews I made this last night for our pumpkin carving family dinner...I modified it the following and it was a big hit! I added chopped celery to the onion and pepper mixture...I used McCormick chili seasoning envelope instead of just chili powder...I added a dash of cumin and sea salt...I used rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies...I added 1/2 can of black beans and 1/2 a can of pinto beans rinsed and drained half way through the cooking time and 1 cup of chicken broth as it was too thick. We topped it with Fritos, cheddar, and a scoop of sour cream. Served it with cornbread, fruit, and a salad. It will be a tradition for Halloween eve for us! Yum!!"
"I made this recipe exactly as it is written here. It is OK but heavy on the peppers flavor. Next time I will cut the peppers in half and add a can of beans."
"Very bland! Will make it again with some of the suggestion by other reviewers. I like the pumpkin flavor that is added, but it needs a lot more!"
"Added more salt."
"I've made this several times and it always turns out great with a few tweaks. I add cumin, red pepper flakes, and use a hot chili mix instead of chili powder. I really like mine extra spicy so I slit two habanero peppers and add to the chili and let it slow for hours. This receipi makes a good base for making chili."
"This is a very good chili. I had to add a little bit of broth. It was too thick. Wonderful meal for the cold days here in the mountains."
"Made for work at the firehouse. Added kidney beans. Was a big hit! Pumpkin made it creamy and a little bit thicker. Not overpowering with the pumpkin flavor"