I first made these scrumptious potatoes as a surprise for my daughter during her freshman year of college. Canned pumpkin and a medley of root vegetables take ordinary mashed potatoes to extraordinary. —Susan Sutphin, Sevierville, Tennessee
Recommended: 55 Savory Ways to Enjoy Sweet Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large red potatoes, cubed
- 3 medium turnips, cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt with parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the potatoes, turnips and parsnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Mash vegetables with butter; stir in the pumpkin, garlic salt, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Transfer to a serving bowl. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Harvest Mashed Potatoes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p122