THIS instant dessert satisfies my sweet tooth in about 10 minutes! There's no crust to prepare and no need to use the oven. It's just right for two, so there are no leftovers to tempt me later. I was inspired to create this recipe to make a very simple dish and to save time. -Lanny Lightner, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large ripe pear or tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon raisins, optional
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 slices cinnamon bread, toasted
- Ice cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the pear, 1/4 cup water, sugar, raisins if desired, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; add to fruit mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm over cinnamon toast. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 245 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Autumn Dessert in Reminisce September/October 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.