Since our state is second in the country in apple production, I make many recipes using them. My family often requests this dish for Sunday dinners and Thanksgiving.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced unpeeled tart apples
- 3 cups sliced carrots, cooked
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Place half the apples in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover with half the carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle half over apples and carrots. Repeat layers. Pour orange juice over all.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 169 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Autumn Casserole in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook