Since our state is second in the country in apple production, I make many recipes using them. My family often requests this dish for Sunday dinners and Thanksgiving.
Recommended: 50 Dinner Recipes That Will Feed a Crowd
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups sliced unpeeled tart apples
- 3 cups sliced carrots, cooked
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Place half the apples in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover with half the carrots. In a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle half over apples and carrots. Repeat layers. Pour orange juice over all. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Casserole in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p77