- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 medium baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick (use Granny Smith or Jonathan, if possible)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine egg and milk; add to flour/butter mixture. Stir to blend. With lightly floured hands, press dough into a 12-in. diameter tart pan (with removable bottom). Press dough up sides to form a 1-in. rim. (May use a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan instead of tart pan.) Fill tart shell with overlapping apple slices, beginning at outer edge. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle evenly over apples. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender. Cut into wedges and serve warm or cool. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forAutumn Apple Tart
"5 star! great recipe for use of fall apples. Very easy!"
"This is excellent! However, before I added the apples atop the crust, I softened 4 oz of Philadelphia cream cheese with 1/4 C powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Then, I added the apples and topping. This is sooo good!"