Autumn Apple Cake
I think you'll agree this apple cake is simply irresistible. It's nicely crisp on top and moist and chewy inside.—Leon Kingsley, Marshfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in apples and nuts if desired. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 244 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Autumn Apple Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1998