Austrian Hazelnut Torte
This unusual but delicious flourless torte has a distinctive nutty flavor with a hint of orange. Its luscious cream filling and topping is accented with citrus.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Additional hazelnuts, halved, optional
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until light lemon-colored. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts, bread crumbs and orange juice.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form; fold into hazelnut mixture.
- Spoon into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the whipped cream. Top with remaining layer and whipped cream. Garnish with halved hazelnuts if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use flour.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 258 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Austrian Hazelnut Torte in Taste of Home April/May 2005