I love to prepare these candies for family gatherings, to share at work or when I have a craving for chocolate! They're not too sweet and the glaze makes them pretty.
Featured In: Travel Around the World in 80 Meals
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Remove from the heat; transfer to a large mixing bowl and add sugar, egg, yolk and extract. Add flour and nuts; blend thoroughly. Shape into 3/4-in. balls and place 1 in. apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool. For glaze, melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan. Add extract, sugar and milk; blend well. Dip tops of cookies into glaze. Allow to dry completely before storing in airtight containers. Yield: 2-3 dozen.
Originally published as Austrian Chocolate Balls in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p23
Reviews forAustrian Chocolate Balls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 21, 2014
"These were fantastic. easy to make and they went over very well at a formal party. This is a keeper."
Reviewed Dec. 22, 2013