Auntie Ann’s Eggplant Relish
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the vegetables, olives, garlic, tomato sauce, water, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, sugar if desired and hot pepper sauce. Cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
2 tablespoons: 42 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Feb 5, 2010
I find this rather addictive! It's so tasty. I'm including it in the forthcoming Super Bowl spread. The guys always enjoy it.