Auntie Ann's Eggplant Relish Recipe
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the vegetables, olives, garlic, tomato sauce, water, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, sugar if desired and hot pepper sauce. Cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 6 cups).
If Cooking for Two: Relish will keep for up to a week stored in a covered container in the refrigerator.
2 tablespoons: 42 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Auntie Ann's Eggplant Relish
"I find this rather addictive! It's so tasty. I'm including it in the forthcoming Super Bowl spread. The guys always enjoy it."