- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40-50 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Stir in olives.
- Spread a fourth of the sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles and a third of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forAunt May's Lasagna
"I use Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles and Cottage Cheese, also use some shredded Parmesan Cheese with the Mozza cheese."
"Although I love traditional lasagna with the ricotta, my husband does not. This was a delicious and simple recipe (didn't do the olives) that had my husband taking a second helping. Will definitely make again and might try with Italian sausage."
"I've made a couple of different lasagnas. This was amazing. Simple & delicious. Everyone was looking forward to leftovers the next day. Only thing I changed is I added a cup of water to the sauce, like some other stated the sauce was too thick for my liking. I also added sugar & tons of garlic to mine."
"very nice recipe , easy to make with a wonderful flavor."
"My husband doesn't care for lasagna recipes that use ricotta cheese. I found this one and since no one likes olives, I omitted them. At times I will use mushrooms instead. I've also made using whole wheat noodles and ground turkey and my family loves it! We make this recipe often!"
"I have a different lasagna recipe that I prefer, but it has more steps so I use this recipe when I want an easier lasagna. It's pretty good, but better if you add 1/2 c. or so of water with the tomatoes so it's not as dry"
"I have made this recipe a few times and we love it. I omit the olives because I'm the only one in my house who likes them, and I usually end up adding extra cheese, but it's always a hit and even my toddler likes it."
"Pretty good, but not enough sauce. Kind of dry. I added in 8 oz of tomato sauce cause that is what I found in the cupboard. But, ideally, I think I'd add a whole jar of pasta sauce next time. I like juicy lasagna!"
"So easy to make because you don't have to prepare the ricotta/egg mixture that traditional lasagna requires. Delicious even without all that. My daughter always requests this when she comes home from college."