Aunt Margaret’s Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place sweet potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, make topping by combining flour, brown sugar, oats and salt; cut in butter until crumbly.
- 2. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Beat until mashed. Add sugar, milk, eggs, butter and vanilla; mash. Transfer to a broiler-safe 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle topping over potato mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, until topping is golden brown, 40-45 minutes; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with marshmallows. If desired, broil 4-5 inches from heat, 30-45 seconds or until marshmallows are puffed and golden.
1/2 cup: 373 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 31, 1969
Love this recipe! We make it almost once a month!
Dec 7, 2016
I made this recipe for Thanksgiving exactly as it was written. It was very flavorful and just what I was looking for. Another TOH success! It's a keeper.
Nov 29, 2016
Made this for Thanksgiving this year and it was a hit! I increased the sweet potatoes to seven and added an extra egg, and increased the half and half, sugar and vanilla to taste before before adding the eggs. I also added some kosher salt to round out the sweetness. I didn't use the marshmallows, but instead added chopped pecans to the topping. Everyone loved it. This is a keeper for next Thanksgiving.....or any time of year!