Aunt Jane’s Beef Stew
The aroma of this classic beef stew is irresistible, making it impossible not to dig in the moment you walk in the door.—Rosana Pape, Hamilton, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots
- 6 medium parsnips, chopped
- 4 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 cups drained diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine all the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Serve immediately or cool and freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months. To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan; add water to thin if necessary. Cover and cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally.