Au Gratin Turnips
My father's favorite food was turnips, either cooked or raw. This dish always reminds me of his many second helpings of turnips at the dinner table. —Janie Colle, Hutchinson, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 3 pounds medium turnips (about 6), peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place turnips in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add half of the green onions. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted.
- Pour sauce over turnips; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining onions.