Au Gratin Spinach ‘n’ Pork
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound pork chop suey meat
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil and butter until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink. Add spinach and garlic; cook and stir for 6 minutes or until heated through. Drain thoroughly. Stir in the lemon zest, fennel seed, salt, pepper, 1/3 cup Swiss cheese and bacon.
- Place half of the onions in a greased 1-qt. baking dish; top with pork mixture and remaining onions (dish will be full). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining Swiss cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until pork is tender and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 292 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 25, 2015
I've been making this for years. It's a good way to use thin pork chop cuts when your sick of making them the old fashioned way.
Sep 3, 2013
What is pork chop suey meat?