Au Gratin Red Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, 2 cups milk, garlic and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove potatoes to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; stir into hot milk mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Pour over potatoes; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Combine wheat germ and oil; sprinkle over top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned and heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 151 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Au Gratin Red Potatoes
"Very very good. The only things I did different was that I used 1% milk and lowfat 2% cheddar and only 1/4 tsp. of oil for the wheat germ. It was plenty enough."