- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter and oil until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the broth, milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the chilies, cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mustard, garlic powder, pepper sauce and nutmeg until cheese is melted.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, arrange half of the potatoes and cheese sauce. Repeat (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 13 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forAu Gratin Potatoes with Green Chiles
"I don't make this with chilies, but this is an absolutely wonderful side dish. I brought it to a family gathering and everyone loved it, even the young ones. Definitely a good recipe for potato lovers."