- 20 pounds red potatoes
- 8 pounds fully cooked ham, cubed
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 quarts milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 pounds process American cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Cook potatoes until tender; cool. Peel if desired and cut into cubes. Place about 6 cups of potatoes each in eight greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Add about 3-1/2 cups of cubed ham to each pan. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, combine soup, milk and flour until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese, pepper and paprika. Reduce heat and cook until the cheese is melted. Pour about 2-1/4 cups of sauce into each pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 140 (1-cup) servings.
Reviews forAu Gratin Potatoes and Ham
"An amazing dish for a crowd! Recipe can be cut in half for forty servings. Will make over and over. A big hit at church!"
"Used this for a fund raiser dinner at church. Everyone loved it so much we decided to serve again for the next one. Several asked for the recipe. Not hard to prepare. Served with baked apples, green beans, and rolls. Total prep and cooking time for the whole meal was around 2.5 hours."
"Served this recipe for at a church Lenten dinner and it was received very well."
"WOndering the same thing. I am going to make it now divided by 12!! Add the soup after the thinkening the milk mixture you think? Barb"
"I do not see when you add the celery soup mix?"