Au Gratin Potatoes 'n' Leeks Recipe
- 8 cups sliced peeled potatoes (1/4-inch slices)
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 4 ounces Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Add leeks; return to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and nutmeg until cheese is melted. Pour over potato mixture. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup: 227 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Au Gratin Potatoes 'n' Leeks
"This was really good, I also used unpeeled potatoes and used almost all of the leeks, not just the white part. I did find the sauce was a little thick so I added more milk - I would say you need at least 1 1/2 cups, not 1 1/3. Also, didn't have swiss cheese so just used cheddar for the sauce too. And, didn't bother with tossing the breadcrumbs with butter, just used them as they were straight from my freezer stash of breadcrumbs. Good comfort food - about to have the leftovers for lunch!"
"This was really delicious and easy. I just made it for dinner, but modified it just a bit: 6 sliced UNpeeled medium russet potatoes; 2 sliced leeks (used whole thing including green part - yum); approx 4 oz of a firm mild goat cheese, grated; all other ingredients were the same! I made 2 layers of potatoes 'n' leeks in the baking dish, layering each with the cheese sauce. Before I poured the cheese sauce on, I salt/peppered each layer. Crumb top was great - make extra! I topped with a sprinkling of FRESH chopped sage after it came out. You could even add roasted chicken or ground beef/turkey and make it an all-in-one meal (but you'll need to make more cheese sauce if you add meat)."