- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups sliced peeled cooked potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Layer with potatoes, salt, peas, 1 cup of cheese and bacon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine mayonnaise and milk until smooth; pour over bacon. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forAu Gratin Peas and Potatoes
"Bacon drippings are what really gives this recipe it's flavor, so don't omit!"
"tasty, except I was confused with the last step. So I ended up simmering the pot a little longer until the gravy mixture bubbles."