Au Gratin Carrots
Our children would never eat carrots, and I could never find a recipe to please their taste buds. Then a friend shared this recipe, and sure enough...they loved it! Now they request this dish.—Sherry Johnson, Glenfield, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces American cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Cook the carrots until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in the cheese just until melted. Add carrots and parsley. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Melt remaining butter; add cornflakes. Sprinkle over carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 171 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 1, 2012
We usually make this for Easter and Thanksgiving. We're quite a group now so we double the recipe. The white sauce can be prepared ahead. Delicious!!
Oct 19, 2011