At-Attention Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1. Combine the first eight ingredients. Gently loosen skin from chicken breasts; rub olive oil and 2 tablespoons spice mixture under the skin. Rub remaining spice mixture over skin. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour out a third of the beer. Carefully poke additional holes in top of the can with a can opener. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity.
- 3. Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked chicken: 322 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Reviews for At-Attention Grilled Chicken
"Yummy tasting with excellent tender, moist meat. This is my new favorite way to cook a whole chicken!"
"Moist and tasty"
"cooked it in the oven for 1.5 hours at 350, sub'd Italian seasoning for thyme and garlic salt pepper combo for salt and pepper. was moist"
"fantastic you may need to cook more than one at a time"
"The chicken is so tender and the flavor is great."
"I was skeptical about this recipe due to the odd assortment of herbs and spices. But I have never had a TOH recipe fail me yet so I tried it. Didn't have time to marinate, just went ahead and followed the rest of the recipe exactly and just have to say, it was the best way of grilling chicken I have ever tried! We all loved it, and will definately make this way again."
"i made this today i put it in my deep fryerand it turns out better then grilling it."
"I put a half of a lemon or onion on the neck opening.It seals in the steam.Yum!"