Asparagus with Orange Sauce
Special enough for company, this dish suggested by field editor Cathee Bethel of Lebanon, Oregon has the inspiring taste of spring. "The light, creamy orange sauce makes asparagus a treat for the whole family," she says.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Orange slices and additional orange zest, optional
- Place asparagus and a small amount of water in a skillet; bring to a boil. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, orange juice, zest and cayenne. Drain asparagus; top with orange sauce. Garnish with orange slices and zest if desired.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 44 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Asparagus with Orange Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.