Asparagus with Lemon Sauce
We didn’t have an oven or stove in our first years of marriage, so we relied heavily on our microwave. This side of asparagus in a creamy lemon sauce was always a favorite. Garnished with fresh lemon wedges, it’s a pretty addition to any menu. –Janice Gerbitz, Woodland, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 cups cut fresh asparagus (2-inch pieces)
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Place asparagus and water chestnuts in a shallow microwave-safe dish; add 1/2 in. of water. Cover and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender; drain and keep warm.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the cream cheese, water, milk and lemon peel. Cover and microwave on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Pour over asparagus mixture; sprinkle with almonds.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 115 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus with Lemon Sauce in Simple & Delicious March/April 2006
Jun 29, 2017
I did not care for this at all. I'm thinking there must be an error; there is no way this can be a contest winner as written.
Sep 25, 2010
I am only reviewing the sauce, nasty!