Asparagus Vinaigrette Salad
My mom has a large asparagus bed, so I'm kept well-supplied with asparagus all spring. I helped her plant it years ago and have a "My Most Embarrassing Moment" story from that day - I planted all the asparagus with the roots facing up! I still get kidded about it.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a saucepan, cook the asparagus in a small amount of water for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Place in a bowl; add pimientos and onions. In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt, pepper and thyme; pour over asparagus mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 180 calories, 18g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Vinaigrette Salad in Country Extra March 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.