From Canastota, New York, Mary Relyea shares this lovely tart. Its golden crust is filled with a delightfully light egg bake that includes asparagus spears and Gruyere cheese. Serve it as an impressive side dish or a meatless main course.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 3 cups water
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cut 2 in. from the top of each asparagus spear; set tops aside. Cut stem ends into 3/4-in. pieces. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the 3/4-in. asparagus pieces; cover and boil for 3-4 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into a 13-in. circle. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges. Place the blanched asparagus, 1/3 cup cheese and parsley in crust.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, salt, cayenne and nutmeg; pour into crust. Arrange asparagus tops over egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 233 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.