Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes4 strudels 8 slices each
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 cups butter, divided
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 32 sheets phyllo dough, (14x9 inches)
- In a large skillet, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry. In the same skillet, saute leeks in 1/4 cup butter for 5 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, leeks, cheese, eggs, lemon juice, parsley, mint, dill, almonds and cayenne.
- Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to avoid drying out). Brush with butter. Repeat layers seven times. Spoon a fourth of the vegetable mixture along the short end of dough to within 1 in. of edges. Fold long sides 1 in. over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Repeat, making three more strudels. Brush tops with remaining butter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts2 slice: 337 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 15, 2012
This is an excellent recipe! I added a little finely diced ham to the filling mixture.Note: This should be baked at 375º for 20 minutes - until golden brown. It will ensure even cooking instead of a dark brown bottom.
Apr 17, 2009
It sounds delich! Will be making it this weekend.
Apr 16, 2009
Made this for Easter and it was fabulous!! No leftovers and everyone raved about it. Thanks for a great recipe!!