- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onions in butter for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add asparagus, broth and seasonings; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add rice. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forAsparagus Soup
"This was a wonderful soup for a very cool and rainy day! I was unable to find plain wild rice without a search, so just used a box of wild rice/long grain mix. A seasoning packet came along with this which I did use in cooking the rice. Added some cooked & shredded chicken for a heartier meal. Those were the only significant changes made to the recipe-except lessening the cooking time for the asparagus to approximately 20 minutes as we prefer crisp/tender asparagus. My husband & I had only rave reviews for the flavor!"
"Asparagus has always intrigued me as a child and also as an adult. Can something that looks so much like a tree actually taste good?!But it does! And it's delicious in this soup!I have a tendency to overcook asparagus so don't do that!! Otherwise all you have is mush!We often add chicken. And mushrooms are a no-no in our house so you can easily customize!!It tastes good with a fruity-flavored muffin hot out of the oven."
"Loved it! Brought it to school to share and got rave reviews. I didn't have wild rice on hand so I used a packaged of uncle ben's ready whole grain medley, microwave and it's 2 cups. This will be added to my soup recipes. Thanks for sharing!!!"
"This was very tasty. I would modify it a little by cutting down on the broth and adding more wild rice. It was a hit here for dinner tonight!"
"bland needs more of a cream base I really had to doctor it up to make it somewhat taste good, not very impressed"