Asparagus Shepherd’s Pie
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of asparagus soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a saucepan, cover potatoes with water; cook until very tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in soup and pepper; pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- 2. Cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes; drain and place over beef mixture.
- 3. Drain potatoes; mash with milk, butter, sage and salt. Spread over the asparagus. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes.
1 cup: 264 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jun 25, 2017
This is my way to fix asparagus hands down!!
Jul 18, 2015
Really good! Will definitely make this again. Maybe add some broccoli, too. I forgot to cut the asparagus up and just laid it across the beef mixture but it turned out fine. I might add just a smidgen more of the seasonings for added flavor.
Dec 31, 1969
Delicious. I used cream of celery as well; I'm sure any would work. I actually forgot about cutting the asparagus in pieces and just laid them down in a line over the beef. Yum!
Dec 31, 1969
My family loves this recipe!
Feb 16, 2012
Made this tonight, subbed cream of celery instead of cream of asparagus soup and used instant potatoes. YUMMO!! Will be a regular in our house.
Jan 15, 2012
This was a great dish. I could not find the cream of asparaagus soup so I used low fat cream of celery soup. I also used instant mashed potatoes to speed things up.
May 18, 2011
This was wonderful, my whole family had seconds or thirds...I made it with cream of chicken soup as that is what I had on hand and added a little bit of broccoli as I didn't have enough asparagus and it was amazing, I will definately make it again!
Apr 3, 2011
Loved this!--All in family did too. Used cream of mushroom and cheddar because it was what I had and loved it, tho found some crm of asaparagus and will use in next batch. Also used bag of frozen asparagus cooked two minutes and it was great. Will prob add two bags next time as we love asparagus. KEEPER!!!
Dec 11, 2010
I've brought this dish to several families when babies were born; and it ALWAYS gets fabulous reviews!
Apr 17, 2010
My husband is a really pick eater, and he and I both really enjoyed this. I added just a touch of prepared horseradish to the meat mixture and used refrigerated microwave mashed potatoes to speed it up a little on a weeknight.