Asparagus Salmon Pie
I received this recipe from a dear neighbor years ago when we lived in the mountains near Yosemite National Park. We had four small children, and the whole family really loved this recipe. Now I make it for my husband, for guests, and for my children and grandchildren when they visit.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) pink salmon, drained, boned and flaked
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan with enough water to cover; cook until crisp-tender. Drain well. Reserve six spears for garnish; cut remaining spears into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Set aside.
- In small bowl, mix eggs, milk, parsley, basil, salt and salmon. Add sauted onion. Place cut asparagus in pastry shell; top with salmon mixture. Arrange reserved asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on top. Cover edges of crust with foil to prevent over-browning.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until filling is set.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 331 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Salmon Pie in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.