A tangy, homemade dressing nearly steals the show from crisp-tender asparagus in Tammy Allison's nutritious salad. "It's a lovely display at dinner parties that isn't a lot of work," she writes from Cape May Court House, New Jersey.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pineapple preserves
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Place asparagus and water in a microwave-safe 11x7-in. dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Place salad greens on a serving platter; top with asparagus. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, orange juice, preserves, sesame seeds and ginger. Drizzle over salad. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 93 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Asparagus Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2006