Asparagus Rice Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (2-inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 2 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tinder. Place 1 in. of water and asparagus in a skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Add peas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, asparagus mixture, onions, pecans and cilantro; mix well. In a bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, sour cream, lemon peel, salt and pepper. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Just before serving, line a platter with 1 cup of spinach. Tear remaining spinach; arrange over spinach leaves. Top with rice mixture.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 286 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 2, 2008
I used 2 Tbl of oil, 3 Tbl sour cream (light sour cream) and almost 1/4 C. lemon juice, and a splash of water. This gave me more dressing to work with, and made it a little lighter, I also used whole wheat rice. My family loved it.