Asparagus Puff Ring
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each; beat until smooth. Stir in 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Using 1/4 cupfuls of dough, form a ring around the sides of a greased 10-in. quiche pan or pie plate (mounds should touch). Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus in a small amount of water for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Stir in ham and asparagus; spoon into ring. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 427 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 1324mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Jun 25, 2017
This is a uniquely different was to prepare aspargus. It is soooo good. Thanks for the recipe!!
Sep 15, 2012
I have been making this for years and we never tire of it! Even my little ones like this. Sometimes we eat it over toast instead and it's great that way as well!
Jun 2, 2010
Excellent, Definitely a do over!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.