Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 slices white or whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- In a skillet, melt butter; saute bread crumbs until golden. Stir in the egg, parsley and salt.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender; drain and transfer to a platter. Spoon topping over asparagus.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 100 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 10, 2018
I like to serve this for guests...it looks like I took a long time in prep, but it is so easy and so delicious.
Mar 30, 2012
After reading another reviewer's question, I should add we use three slices of fresh bread, usually Nature's own white wheat.
Mar 30, 2012
This is our favorite asparagus recipe - even asparagus haters enjoy it! Perfect for special occasions and company worthy. Great recipe.
Aug 13, 2010
I use 3 slices of whole wheat bread, coarsely crumbled. This works very well for me, so I suspect it was the original intended amount in the recipe. I think this is an elegant presentation for asparagus and a nice complement to the taste as well.
Jun 17, 2010
Would like to try this recipe, but bread quantity is vague . . . are these slices of bread cut or cubed? In directions it says bread crumbs . . . would it be 3 Tablespoons of bread crumbs. Please advise.