Asparagus Pepperoni Triangles
Convenient phyllo dough forms the crispy golden crust for the asparagus and turkey pepperoni filling tucked inside these mouthwatering party starters. Our Test Kitchen staff created the cute triangular bites sure to delight guests!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni, chopped
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 2 teaspoons butter for 2 minutes or just until tender; add to ricotta mixture. Stir in asparagus. Melt remaining butter; set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a short end facing you. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.) Spray sheet with butter-flavored spray; cut into three 14x3-in. strips. Place a scant tablespoon of asparagus mixture on lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip.
- Brush end of dough with butter and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and brush top with melted butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Place triangles on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 36 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Asparagus and Prosciutto Triangles in Light & Tasty June/July 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.