My husband and I created this recipe when trying to use up leftover asparagus and hollandaise sauce. The vegetable-filled omelet gets its irresistible flavor from the creamy sauce and a nice crunch from crumbled bacon. We think this is special enough for company. —Becky Roth, Kawkawlin, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 envelope hollandaise sauce mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, prepare the hollandaise sauce mix with milk and butter according to package directions; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. In the drippings, saute mushrooms until tender; set aside.
- Place asparagus and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and keep warm.
- Coat a 10-in. skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat; add 3/4 cup beaten eggs (3 eggs) to skillet (mixture should set immediately at edges).
- As eggs set, push cooked edges toward the center, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When the eggs are set, sprinkle a fourth of the asparagus, 1/4 cup cheese and a fourth of the mushrooms on one side and sprinkle with cheese; fold other side over filling. Invert omelet onto a plate to serve. Repeat for remaining omelets. Top with hollandaise sauce and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 736 calories, 60g fat (26g saturated fat), 723mg cholesterol, 967mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Omelet in Quick Cooking March/April 2002