When my husband and I created this recipe when trying to use up leftover asparagus and hollandaise sauce. The vegetable-filled omelet gets its irresistible flavor from the creamy sauce and a nice crunch from crumbled bacon. We think this is special enough for company.
Recommended: 26 Ways to Eat Asparagus This Spring
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 envelope hollandaise sauce mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a saucepan, prepare the hollandaise sauce mix with milk and butter according to package directions; keep warm. In a skillet, bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. In the drippings, saute mushrooms until tender; set aside.
- Place asparagus and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and keep warm.
- Heat an 8-in. skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-low heat; add 3/4 cup beaten eggs (3 eggs). As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Sprinkle with a fourth of the asparagus, 1/4 cup cheese and a fourth of the mushrooms. Fold omelet in half. Cover for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Repeat for remaining omelets. Top with hollandaise sauce and bacon. Yield: 4 omelets.
Originally published as Asparagus Omelet in Quick Cooking March/April 2002, p27
Reviews forAsparagus Omelet
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2012
"I omitted the mushrooms...still delicious"