Asparagus Nut Stir-Fry
This pretty side dish is an excellent way to serve one of the first springtime vegetables from our garden. I never have leftovers since everyone goes for the fresh taste of the asparagus, the crunch of the walnuts and the zippy seasoning. —Margaret Souders Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry asparagus in oil until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, stir-fry the red pepper, walnuts, ginger, garlic and pepper flakes for 2 minutes or until red pepper is crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, sugar and salt; heat through. Add asparagus; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 92 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 529mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Nut Stir-Fry in Taste of Home February/March 2001