Asparagus Mushroom Salad
When I served this as a main course for a luncheon with friends, everyone asked for the recipe. Occasionally I'll garnish the salad with toasted walnut halves instead of tomatoes to give it some crunch.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- Tomato wedges and additional paprika, optional
- Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until crisp-tender; drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a bowl, toss mushrooms with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Combine cream, paprika, salt, pepper and remaining lemon juice; whisk until smooth. Pour over mushrooms; toss to coat.
- Line a large serving platter with romaine. Arrange the asparagus in spoke fashion with stems toward center. Spoon mushrooms into center. If desired, garnish with tomato wedges and paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 106 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Mushroom Salad in Country Extra May 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.