I find it a challenge to prepare vegetables so that they appeal to everyone...especially children. After tasting this special stir-fry, folks lean to love asparagus in no time.
Recommended: 65 Low-Calorie Dinner Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 cups fresh asparagus pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Stir-fry celery over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add asparagus and onions; stir-fry for 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Transfer to a bowl; set aside. Add remaining oil to the skillet. Stir-fry chicken, orange zest and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Combine the cornstarch, water, orange juice, orange juice concentrate and soy sauce until smooth; stir into skillet along with reserved vegetables. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened and vegetables are heated through. Stir in almonds. Serve over rice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus-Lover's Stir-Fry in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p41