I received this recipe from my mother, who lives in an area known for its fine asparagus. You can assemble to casserole the night before and refrigerate. Just remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. —Bev Angelbrandt, Calgary, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 3 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes; drain and set aside. In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour , salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream cheese, lemon juice, peel and nutmeg until cheese is melted.
- Spread about 3/4 cup sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, a fourth of the sauce and a third of the asparagus and mozzarella. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles and sauce (dish will be full). Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 359 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Lasagna in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
May 28, 2013
I have made this many times exactly as listed and get raves. It can be customized with ham ribbons, peas or fresh blue crab meat (my fav). Don't leave out the lemon, it's the key to the dish!